Sunday, April 5, 2009

Oh, Medusa

Ciao Bella!

We arrived in Italy two days ago, after spending our time in Patras with our friend and his underwear. The ferry ride was long and probably the worst sleep yet on our trip, our seats consisted mainly of airplane like seats in a dark room. No. Good.

We spent two days in a small town on the coast named Brindisi in a hostel named Carpe Diem! It was the only hostel in the small place, but welcoming and homey none the less. Our roomate, on the other hand, was a bit off. Upon arrival we were introduced to her by her stuff scattered throughout an entire corner of the room. Around five suitcases, her own computer (not laptop, computer), and an array of things about the desk. She came in around dinner and made quite the impression upon us. She was probably around fourty or fifty years old with purple hair and large fur coats with high boots. She only spoke Spanish mostly, but managed to make a bit of conversation with us before she took out her tattoo gun. Yes, tattoo gun! She chatted away on her cellphone as she put the gun together. Once she was off of her phone she began tattooing herself. She was shocking. I named her Medusa due to her outline on her lower back. Gross!

Brindisi was not much but on our last afternoon the man who owned the hostel and a few girls that work there were heading out to the beach to watch some boat races and invited us along. We raced through Brindisi out to one of its two castles, where we broke in past the military confinement (haa) and sat to eat strawberries. It was pretty great.

We caught the train at six this morning to Rome, where it is hot and overwhelming. We had been planning to saunter into a hostel and assume for open beds (because that has been our plan thus far) only to discover that nearly every hostel in Rome was full for tonight. AH! We are currently checked in to M&J Hostel, a short walk from the Termini Train Station, and we have booked it up until Thursday evening. Rome is expensive, so we had sought out to find a grocery store and were unsuccessful due to it being Sunday evening. We ate at a small Pizzeria where we spent too much on mediocre Italian food. I ate the canneloni with spinach and ricotta cheese. Though, the waiter did give us complimentary shots and his phone number.

The second one we have gotten so far!

Anyway, we are going to do our best to tour Rome on our own due to the fact that this hostel costs reasonably more than the others we have been in.

DK, the settings say the date is set to be in the blog so I am confused as to why it is not there. Today is Sunday April 5!

Much love,
Ash

4 comments:

  1. Hi Ash,

    If you could just respond to this or shoot me an e-mail so we know how you are doing. I heard the earthquake was northeast of Rome, but just making sure you guys are safe.

    Love,
    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey lady!

    Yes we are fine, I awoke during it and it shook our hostel pretty decently but nobody else in my room awoke, so I spent the afternoon thinking I had dreamt it! Anyway, we are alive and well and hoping it doesnt get much closer than that. Though we do leave for Florence on Friday. Shoot me some mail! And I got something great today for ya.

    Much love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tray bella! Very happy tp hear that you are fine after the foofuraw about the earthquake. Wasn't there on while you were in California too? Must be all that Canadian girl power flooding Italia.

    Brindisi sounds quaint and Medusa faintly inimical. I bet 2 young women coming into a hostel room containing me and my gear would also wonder what the hell I was doing there :) Hmmm I wouldn't mind a tattoo gun though.

    And you're in Rome now till Friday and then on to Firenzia - I hope you have an absolute blast - ahh to be there - I am so looking forward to your pics.

    Free shots and phone numbers - who's the other one from? hmmmm? sounds like another anecdote I'd like to hear. I'm going out to MJ on Thursday so I'll catch dad up on your adventures while I'm there.

    Will the Easter Bunny be able to find you do you think? Hey - Easter Mass in Firenzia - that would be a keeper - long though like 3 hours ;)

    smooches
    anti dk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Ash, thanks for the post....I have heard that there are quite a few aftershocks happening over there too. You should get more of your friends on here though!! You must be mailing them instead!!! private convos I suspect!! You wouldn't believe how many people have been asking about you. A lady at work today asked, and knowing she's Italian I asked about her family...her 2 aunties live there but all the land lines are down and they can't get through. Her parents are planning to fly to Rome but they don't know if the roads are even passible. Small world sometimes. Mazzy left today and Autumn misses her already!! They should be in London late tonite!! Wow so many world travelers!! Then they are off to Narobi!! I cleaned the litter box today and I miss you already!!! Shopping tomorrow, need me to pick you up anything!! lol saving the $$$$$$
    Do you have pics up yet? I believe I have Autumn signed up for acting lessons this summer. I hope she has a blast..maybe this will be the thing she loves to do!~ Anyways..I just wanted to check in with you, tell ya I love ya and to keep yourself safe but have a blast!! Ciao Mom

    ReplyDelete